Sunday, May 28, 2006

Korean Food Recipes

Among the non-Asian folks I know, Korean food gets no love (unless it's from a guy who loves Koreans). Even though the weather is warming up in Oakland, I have been craving spicy Korean food, especially soups and stews. So, check back for an occassional post w/ some of my favorite recipes. Any Korean who has called their mom for a recipe knows that everything is measured by "a little", "a lot", "some", or "until it tastes right". This is also how I measure things. I'm going to try my hardest to avoid this when I wrtie my recipes. Here are some recipes I'll be posting:

Soon Dubu (Soft Tofu Stew)
Kimchi Chigae (Kimchi Stew)
Deng Jang Chigae (Korean Bean Paste Stew; like miso but much stronger and spicy!)
Yukae Jang (Spicy Beef Stew)
Chicken Soup (my momma’s recipe)
Mi Yuk Guk (Seaweed Soup)
Tuk Guk (Rice cake soup)
Tukbooki (spicy rice cake)
Jajang Myun (black bean noodles)
Mandoo (Korean Dumpling)
and some simple panchan recipes as well


BTW, my sister and I are boycotting Koryo BBQ in Oakland. I'm not a huge fan of Korean BBQ so I prefer Sahn Maru ( 4315 Telegraph Ave. (at 43rd. St.)) which is right across the street from Koryo. Sahn Maru has BBQ but does not have table top grilling. If you're in the mood for non-BBQed Korean food, w/ YUMMY panchan, and EXCELLENT service, make your way over. Y

No comments: