Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Book Meme

1. One book that changed your life. Strangers from a Different Shore by Ron Takaki

The first Asian American Studies class I took was a reading and composition class. This class made me branch out into other Asian Am classes the following semester. Reading Strangers in Asian Am 20a was pretty much what decided my want to major in AsianAm. This book helped me find my place and face in U.S. history. Additionally, Takaki's humble approach to life and writing makes this book even more fascinating.


2. One book you have read more than once.
The Outsiders by SE Hinton
I first fell in love with this book in sixth grade. I have the same tattered and loved copy on my bookshelf. "Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold"







3. One book you would want on a desert island.
The Bible

If I had the Bible w/ me on a desert island, i'm pretty sure i'd read it in it's entirety, something I have yet to do.








4. One book that made you laugh.
Same Difference and other Small Stories by Derek Kirk Kim

Derek Kirk Kim is an amazingly talent artist and storyteller. Check out his website and click on comics to read some of his work.







5. One book that made you cry.
Blu's Hanging by Lois Ann Yamanaka
Despite the controversy that surrounds this book, it is one of my favorite books of all time. We were supposed to read it for Asian Am Lit. Almost all the women in my class (including me) admitted we cried when Blu gave Ivah maxi pads for Christmas. *sigh*









6. One book you wish had been written.
I don't understand this one... I'm changing it to One book you wish you had written: Teaching to Transgress by bell hooks
I have so much admiration for bell hooks' writing. this is a book to turn to when my work with students becomes tiresome or difficult








7. One book you wish had never been written.
i can't think of any... sorry!!


8. One book you are currently reading.
In AP US History, Mr Evans supplemented the textbook w/ A People's History. I was too young and stupid to really appreciate it at the time. Good thing I've grown up since then! The Reader is a collection of his publishings. I love people who write in a way that is accessible to everyday people.






9. One book you have been meaning to read.
too many to list. i'm always looking for good fiction (despite what most of my meme looks like)

10. I tag Gar, Marie, Alphonsis, and Tiff

No comments: